Hydroxyethyl cellulose HEC is the hydroxyethyl ether of cellulose. The product is a odorless, non-toxic white or light yellow powder of cellulose, with various specifications and brands due to different manufacturing methods and manufacturing processes. In recent years, there have been new developments. Different types of hydroxyethyl cellulose products such as anti-enzyme type and associative type have come out.
Hydroxyethyl cellulose HEC is a commonly used thickener in coatings and has the following advantages:
(1) Strong versatility. Hydroxyethyl cellulose HEC is a non-ionic water-soluble polymer, which can be used in a wide pH range (2-12). It can be mixed with common paint components (such as pigments, additives, soluble salts and electrolytes) without abnormal phenomena.
(2) The paint thickened with hydroxyethyl cellulose HEC has pseudoplasticity, so it can be applied by brushing, spraying, roller coating and other construction methods, which is labor-saving and easy to hang, not easy to splash, not easy to drip and sag, etc. Advantages, leveling is also better.
(3) There is no bad effect on the coating film. Due to the insignificant water surface tension characteristics of the HEC aqueous solution, it is not easy to foam during construction and production, and there is less tendency to produce volcanic holes.
(4) Good color development. Hydroxyethyl cellulose HEC has excellent miscibility to most binders and coloring agents, so that the formulated paint has good color stability and consistency.
(5) Good storage stability. During the storage process of the paint, the suspension and dispersion of the pigment can be maintained, and there is no floating or blooming disease. There is less water layer on the surface of the paint. When the storage temperature changes, the viscosity remains More stable.